New chainsaw time

Go down

New chainsaw time

Post by Hugo on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Protip of the day : if you're gonna let your chainsaw idle while it warms up, release the brake.

I started my chainsaw (Poulan 3314, 33cm³, 14'' bar) to cut a tree in my backyard the other day, and started letting it idle with the choke at the halfway mark.

Well, I started cutting some branches with my brother-in-law's chainsaw in the meantime and completely forgot about mine.

So at some point, the saw's motor began to gain speed as it was running rich at half-choke, and since I didn't hit the trigger to make it return to a slower idle, eventually the speed made the centrifugal clutch grab, and in turn it started spinning the sprocket even though the brake was on.  The whole thing started heating up, some much that it melted the plastic casing around it, and I think it bent the sprocket somewhat.  The thing turned blue from the heat.

I tried to fix it, but it's gone, so I bought a used, bigger (but older) saw for a cool 100$ (Poulan Pro 260, 42cm³, 18'' bar).  It started fine when I went to look at it.

The choke lever wouldn't stay pulled, so I dismantled it and managed to fix it yesterday night  I only hope it will start again, I didn't tried to restart it since.

The bad thing is I'm out of 100$.  The good thing is that I have a bigger, better saw (with spring mounted handle to reduce fatigue) on which I can mount my old 14'' bar (same 3/8 pitch FTW), making a real torquey, highly maneuverable saw.

Old saw :

New (to me) saw :

Hugo

Back to top Go down

Re: New chainsaw time

Post by Lola on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:43 am

Hugo wrote:Protip of the day : if you're gonna let your chainsaw idle while it warms up, release the brake.

I hear ya brother.

You realize you are reinforcing the Canadians are all lumberjacks stereotype?

Chainsaws scare me. Whilst at work I got a call that our lawn man cut himself with a chainsaw. As I was walking over I was mentally preparing myself to be picking up fingers and putting them on ice but it turned out to be a deep cut across his palm.

Lola

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:11 am

The crazy thing is that I don't look/act at all like some lumberjack redneck, but having a house in the suburbs, I never shy away from any type of traditional manual labor.

That said, they are indeed dangerous as hell. I always wear gloves and protection goggles. For safety reasons, consumer saws usually have pussy chains, with a cutting link every three links, which reduces kickback. Even in the pic of my new-to-me saw, that's what it has. The chain I have on it now, however, has a cutting link every other link, which cuts a lot faster, but can induce more kickback.

They are tons of fun though!!!
Hugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum